UPPC is a unique, grace-filled community where you can be yourself as you engage in worship, small groups, youth activities, outreach to the community, mission trips, or just come be surrounded by people who are trying to intentionally live the Gospel. One of the distinct things about our church is that we're an all-generations community. There's a place for you here - you are invited to participate!
Our Focus Statement
At University Place Presbyterian Church we strive to be the love of Jesus locally, intentionally, spontaneously and tangibly. As part of the University Place and Tacoma communities for nearly 100 years, our commitment to loving God and loving others remains a constant during times of change.
- Local: Jesus started his ministry locally, on the way to taking it global. He showed time and again that he would rather walk through a local area - filled with people who did not share his faith - than take the long way around just to be with people who were more like him. There are 80,000 people within a five-mile radius who do not have a church home. UPPC desires to be the love of Jesus locally, caring for those around us.
- Intentional: Jesus came to us intentionally, with a mission to fulfill - the most important mission in history. A mission focused on his great love for us. As humans, we are intentional with the people we love. In fact, we show our love by being intentional. His mission for us was to go and make disciples of all the world; UPPC desires to be the love of Jesus intentionally by purposefully living and sharing the Good News with others.
- Spontaneous: Jesus helped people as their needs came up around him. He demonstrated his love for them right then and there. Likewise, we are called to be open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. UPPC desires to be the love of Jesus spontaneously, ready to respond to unexpected opportunities to make a difference in the life of someone around us.
- Tangible: Jesus’ love is not merely theoretical, intellectual or internalized; it can be seen and felt in practice. Jesus fed the hungry, healed the sick, and comforted those who were hurting - he never hesitated to get hands-on with others that society had cast aside. The love of Jesus always bears fruit. UPPC desires to be the love of Jesus tangibly, making a difference in people’s lives that can be seen, heard and felt.
The Jesus Creed:
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31
As a Family of Faith, We ...
- Are In This Together: We comfort and care for our brothers and sisters in Christ, here and around the world.
- Make Room: We value sacred space in a secular world - our gatherings are a place of Holy Spirit moments and great healing.
- Love Kids: We honor children and youth - through spiritual growth and general nurture - as a foundation for all we do.
- Create: We celebrate music and the arts to lift our hearts, enhance our worship, and celebrate God's goodness with others in and outside the church.
- Embrace Messiness: Guided by the word, embracing both spiritual truth and divine grace, as we share life's faith journey in all its messiness and all its glory, together.
- Share: We share our abundant blessings generously - through service and mission, talent and treasure.
Presbyterian Church (USA)
UPPC is a member of the PC(USA) denomination. The PC(USA) is the largest of several Presbyterian denominations. It traces back to 1793 and is now headquartered in Louisville, KY. Its constitution has two parts: The Book of Confessions teaches what we believe and The Book of Order teaches how our church is organized.
Click here for the August 2014 statement on Scripture, Sexuality and Church Leadership.
The Fellowship Community
UPPC is affiliated with The Fellowship Community. The mission of the The Fellowship is to build flourishing churches that make disciples of Jesus Christ. The Fellowship is a new organization that has roots in several other previous PC(USA) groups. The Fellowship is an umbrella association, in and beyond the current PC(USA), through which members can share ideas, ministry resources, and missional strategy. The Fellowship invites Presbyterians to affiliate in order to connect, grow, and pursue a common mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ while sharing a Presbyterian, Reformed, Evangelical heritage. Rather than being preoccupied by unfruitful theological disputes or church bureaucracy, the Fellowship seeks to help churches focus instead on actively pursuing mission and ministry.